Tracking The Trends in K-pop: Hair Colors of the Rainbow
The latest, greatest, and hottest trend in Kpop today is rainbow colored hair! Some of Kpop’s BIGGEST names from Big Bang to B2ST, and from 2ne1 to Kara having hair that gives Skittles a run for their money is an absolute MUST.
- SHINee’s Key had colored streaks for the group’s “Ring Ding Dong” promotions.
- Miss A’s Jia debuts with pink hair for the group’s “Bad Girl, Good Girl” promotions.
- For 2ne1′s “아파 (It Hurts) (Slow)” promotions Park Bom had green hair, and Minzy had orange. For their “Can’t Nobody,” “Go Away,” and “Clap Your Hands” promotions Park Bom had red hair.
- Minzy had purple hair for 2ne1′s “I Am the Best,” “Ugly,” and “Hate You” promotions.
- Hyosung sported purple hair for Secret’s “Love is Move” promotions
- The rainbow hair trend really started to boom with Big Bang during their “Alive” promotions. G-Dragon used different colored extentions for his “seaweed” hair style during “Blue,” “Bad Boy,” and “Fantastic Baby” while T.O.P stuck to teal locks.
- SPICA member BOA donned a short hot pink hair style for her groups “Painkiller” promotions.
- For Big Bang’s “Monster” promotions G-Dragon was seen with red hair, and later after promos ended he sporting a pink do.
- Zelo of B.A.P sported pink hair for the group’s ”Power” promotions.
- Xiah went for white, bleach blonde, and red hair plus red, and blue extensions for his “Tarantallegra” promotions.
- G.NA used hot pink extensions during the promotion for her song, “2Hot.”
- Hello Venus made their debut with “Venus,” and rapper lime went for light green locks.
- The Teen Top members sported red, purple, blue, green, and bleach blonde highlights for “To You.”
- For the Wonder Girls’ “Like This” promotions Hye Lim had green extensions, Sunye had red streaks, and Ye Eun had orange hair.
- For f(x) “Electric Shock” promotions Amber, and Sulli had streaks of pink, yellow, and green.
- Super Junior made their comeback with “Sexy, Free & Single.” Yesung sported dark red hair, while Shindong had light pink highlights.
- 2ne1 came back with “I Love You,” and not only was Dara sporting a half-shaven head, but colored locks.
- B2ST members had red, blue, purple, and orange hair dos for their comeback with “Midnight Sun.”
- The T-ara members had red, green, yellow, purple, and blue hair for their “Day by Day” promotions.
- B.A.P members had blues and reds for their “No Mercy” promotions.
- Teen Top members kept up with multi colored hair, dying their hair light blue, red, and even yellow.
- Super Junior made their comeback with “Spy.” Member Shindong donned blue hair for the promotions.
- We saw purples, reds, and pinks from the F.Cuz members during their promotions for “Dreaming I.”
- Kara members took part in the trend for their “Pandora” promotions with member Jiyoung sporting bright blue hair.
- G-Dragon was rocking the yellow hair for his “One of a Kind” MV. Then for his “Crayon” MV G-Dragon was sporting multi-colored locks.
Some of the AKPF Staff sounded off on what they think about the new Kpop hair trend:
“Loving that Kpop idols have jumped on the candy colored hair bandwagon because it’s one of my lingering favorite trends, if done well. I think G-Dragon did it best with his bubblegum pink hair with T.O.P 2nd.”
“I actually kind of like the bright hair when it’s paired with a more tailored look. When TOP initially had his hair silver and was wearing impeccable suits all the time i was ALL ABOUT IT. But the crayola hair with crazy clothes and accessories is too much for me. It’s too much work for my eyeballs. For me, fashion is all about contrast and tension… so trendy + classic is a good set up. But trendy + trendy + trendy + crack = disaster.”
“I actually really like the trend, but that is mainly because I have always wanted to dye my hair a bright color like that (blue and/or purple were my goals).
My biggest misses would be Mir’s blue-ish-black-ish-grey-ish look, Qri’s hair of just about the same color, and Dara’s hair in I Love You. Love the styles, didn’t appreciate the colors.
I think Bom and GD can pull off just about any color they want and still look good in it, with Yongguk slowly joining that category the more I see of him.”
“I personally am glad to see an end to the bleach blond, dirty blond, any blonde trend, so I really like the multicolored hair. I think T.O.P, and G-Dragon did it nicely, and for the girl’s, 2ne1′s Dara with her shaved head and colored locks was beautiful. I also really like B2ST’s hair for their “Midnight Sun” promotions, and Kara’s Jiyoung’s blue hair for their “Pandora” MV. All I know is, I am glad to see a bread from blonde.”
We want to know what YOU think, so sound off with your opinions in the comments below, or send them to us on Twitter.